Item contributed by Massachusetts Historical Society
Dating back to 1798, the Beaufort Arsenal originally housed the Beaufort Volunteer Artillery. During the Civil War, the United States Army took over the Arsenal when it established nearby Hilton Head as the Headquarters of the Department of the South for the United States Army. US soldiers occupied the Arsenal throughout the War.
This photograph is included in Captain Luis Emilio’s collection of photographs related to the regiment, now at the Massachusetts Historical Society. The 54th Massachusetts Regiment likely interacted with the Arsenal while camped in Beaufort.
“The Arsenal.” Beaufort History Museum. Accessed May, 2022. https://beauforthistorymuseum.wildapricot.org/the-arsenal
Photograph, circa 1863-1864, 8.2 cm x 6.8 cm.
From the 54th Massachusetts Volunteer Infantry Regiment photographs.