Item contributed by National Parks of Boston
This print depicts the “Old Smith School, Now the Quarters of Robert A. Bell Post, G.A.R.” Parts of this image show the interior of the Bell Post’s headquarters, including “Old Battle Flags” and “Corner in the Post Room.” In 1877, Boston’s Committee on Public Buildings recommended that the city lease the Smith School at 46 Joy Street to the Robert A. Bell Post, 134, of the Grand Army of the Republic (G.A.R.). Once approved, the former schoolhouse became the headquarters of this G.A.R. unit of African American Civil War veterans during the Post’s years of activity. Here, the Bell Post hosted a variety of activities, from commemorative events for anniversaries and holidays, to social and charity events.
Print of the "Old Smith School, Now the Quarters of the Robert A. Bell Post, G.A.R.." Daily Boston Globe, October 9, 1900.View original digital record